Dr. Umfrey is a board-certified ophthalmologist who specializes in glaucoma management, treatment and surgery.
Leah T. Umfrey is a member of the American Glaucoma Society. She grew up in Buffalo, NY, and graduated Magna Cum Laude from the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, PA. She then received her Doctor of Medicine from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. She completed her internship in Internal Medicine at Washington Hospital Center, Washington, D.C., and a residency in Ophthalmology at Georgetown University Hospital/Washington Hospital Center in Washington, DC. Dr. Umfrey completed an additional fellowship in glaucoma at the Manhattan, Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital in New York City, NY, under the direction of Celso Tello, MD, and Sung Chul Park, MD.
RESEARCH & PRESENTATIONS
Dr. Umfrey has worked on several research projects and will play an important role in ongoing research studies at Ophthalmic Consultants. Past research areas include:
- Glaucoma drop adherence rates following a phone call intervention.
- Visual Outcomes in Patients with Asteroid Hyalosis following Pars Plana Vitrectomy.
- Educational Intervention on managing acute eye complaints for physician assistants in the emergency care setting.
- Thyroid Eye Disease Outcomes Following Surgical vs Medical Treatment.
- A Case of Bilateral Idiopathic Peripheral Ulcerative Keratitis associated with pityriasis lichenoides et varioliformis acuta (PLEVA).
- Filamentary Fungal Keratitis Refractory to Natamycin: A Case Report of Alternaria Keratitis.
- Laser Peripheral Iridotomy for the Prevention of Angle Closure: the Zhongshan Angle Closure Prevention (ZAP) Trial.
- Comparison of Endothelial Cell Loss and Complications Following DMEK with the Use of Three Different Graft Injectors.
- OCT in the Management of Glaucoma: Pearls and Pitfalls.
- Hydroxyapatite vs Medpor Orbital Implants.
- A Worldwide Price Comparison of Glaucoma Medications, Laser Trabeculoplasty and Trabeculectomy Surgery.
Dr. Umfrey’s volunteer activities have included performing pediatric vision screenings for the Prevention of Blindness Society, providing free eye care services to underserved populations in Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia, and acting as a Spanish-speaking translator for patients at Birmingham Clinic, a free eye clinic in Pittsburgh.
Dr. Umfrey speaks English natively and is fluent in Spanish at the bilingual level.
- Make sure you know all your glaucoma treatment options.
- Why would a glaucoma specialist do my cataract surgery?
- People on the move – professional recognition – Leah T. Umfrey, M.D. – Board-certified glaucoma specialist and surgeon
Practicing At Our Locations In
- Clifton Park
- Glaucoma Diagnosis, Treatment & Surgery
- Glaucoma Management