What is it
- Botox® is a minimally invasive treatment commonly used to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Made from a purified protein, neurotoxins have the ability to relax the muscles that create facial wrinkles, giving you a refreshed, younger look.
- Our facial muscles contract when we smile, frown or squint, which causes our skin to furrow and fold. After years of frequent contraction, those skin creases can linger, creating wrinkles, even after the muscles have relaxed. Botox injections smooth out these areas by selectively relaxing the muscles that cause deep wrinkles.
- BOTOX has been used safely by ophthalmologists to treat cosmetic and medical conditions for more than 20 years. In fact, ophthalmologists are the most trusted administrators of BOTOX, thanks to their in-depth knowledge of the muscles around the eyes and facial anatomy.
The primary uses for Botox include:
- frown lines (between eyebrows)
- forehead lines
- crow’s feet
- Dr. Stasior might first determine whether the wrinkles under your eyes are dynamic wrinkles or fine lines. According to the AAO, Botox is ineffective for fine lines. These shots work better on deeper, dynamic wrinkles.
Results/What to Expect
- Dr. Stasior may first apply a cold pack to the injection site. This helps to ease any pain or discomfort. They’ll then inject a small amount of Botox.
- Perhaps one of the greatest benefits of Botox is the lack of down time needed post-injections. Since this isn’t surgery, you can get back to your normal activities immediately.
- Treatments are generally less than 15 minutes, and noticeable improvement is usually seen within 3-4 days as your facial muscles may start relaxing after three days.
- While results are temporary, according to the American Osteopathic College of Dermatology, you can expect your Botox treatment to last between four and six months. After this time, you’ll need to go back to your doctor for more shots if you want to maintain the results of previous injections. Repeated Botox injections can actually help prevent wrinkles from recurring.