To perform all job functions in a courteous and professional manner consistent with the mission and goals of Albany Troy Cataract & Laser Associates, PLLC. Primarily responsible for timely patient contact to obtain medical information and perform a variety of tests, including but not limited to injections, prior to the doctor seeing the patient.
Valid Registered Nursing license. Team oriented and self motivated with exceptional interpersonal and communication skills. Willingness to travel between offices. Ability to work under pressure and remain calm in highly stressful daily situations.
- Follow all current and future policies and procedures of the department.
- Perform basic ocular screening and patient history.
- Assist in the efficient movement/flow of patients through sequence and evaluation.
- Medically assist the doctor through the patient examination.
- Scribe and document for the doctor.
- Prepare examination rooms to provide all needed medications, forms, consents and educational materials.
- Coordinate special testing needs with technicians and surgical needs with the surgical counselors.
- Create a sterile environment using sterile technique.
- Accurately perform and document the following:
- Confrontation visual fields
- Automated keratometry
- Automated lensometry
- Manual lensometry
- Basic pupil evaluation –A/C depth exam and basic slit lamp exam
- Tonopen tonometry
- Visual acuity distance and near- NPC
- BAT & PAM
- Schirmers and testing for child’s exam
- Basic fundus photography (Mac, Disc and Diabetic Series)
- Basic refraction
- Knowledge of ophthalmic terminology and equipment.
- Assist doctor with patient calls, pharmacy calls, etc; return all patient phone calls the same day received.
- Communicate all doctor instructions to patients and/or other doctors’ offices as directed; fax reports, letters, post op visits, etc., to referring doctors.
- Ability to travel to all office locations and work with any doctor as assigned.
- Participate in duties interdepartmentally as deemed necessary, by clinical supervisor, office manager and/or doctor(s).
- Provide assistance to other clinic personnel as needed.
- Prepare and perform fluorescein angiograms.
- Perform OCTs.
- Administrative tasks as outlined per specialist to assist in daily patient monitoring. Spreadsheet tracking for labs, MRIs, CatScans, etc. Injection follow up for Dr. Contractor.
- Assist in the sterile set up, clean up and injection of Lucentis and Eylea or other products or office procedures, as ordered. Fill out lab sheets and call for pick up of specimen as needed.
- Review the upcoming week’s schedule to ensure all labs, Cat Scans, MRI’s and/or any expected letters have been received and Neuro exams are scheduled correctly with appropriate testing ordered.
- Review check out appointments for Neuro ophthalmologist to ensure orders follow scheduled appointments.
- Triage any incoming Neuro referrals to determine when the patient needs to be seen.
- Assist with Dr. Weiner with pre and post operative instructions.
- Assist with Nurse Notes daily.
- Perform histories on patients.
- Maintain practice and patient confidentiality at all times.
- Exhibit professional demeanor at all times while representing the practice.
- Maintain a professional level and volume of communication.
- Participate in staff and educational meetings and training.
- Obtain HIPAA/OSHA certification upon hire and each year at a specified time and at the expense of the practice.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Most of the on-the-job time is spent walking, sitting, using hands to handle, reaching with hands and arms, talking and hearing. Less than one-third of the time is spent stooping or crouching.
- Sometimes this job may require weight to be lifted; under one-third of the on-the-job lifting is between 10 and 50 pounds.
- The job requires the following types of special vision: close, distance, peripheral and depth.
- Typical noise level for the work environment of this job is moderate (i.e. business office with computers and printers, light traffic).
- Work in an office environment and sustain posture in a standing and or sitting position for prolonged periods of time.
- The practice has determined this position to be at risk for blood borne pathogens as described by O.S.H.A. regulations of 1992.
This job description is intended only to describe the general nature and level of work performed. It is not intended nor should it be interpreted as an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, and responsibilities. When driving on company business, maintenance of a valid New York Driver’s License and satisfactory driving record is required.