In a recent study on COVID-19 published in JAMA Ophthalmology found that 31.6% of 38 consecutive patients with COVID-19 seen at the Yichang Central People’s Hospital in Hubei Province, China, had eye-related symptoms.
Here are some tips to avoid COVID-19 infecting your eyes:
- Wash hands with soap for at least 20 seconds.
- Do not touch your face or rub your eyes with your hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- If you wear contacts, always wash your hands with soap for at least 20 seconds before placing your contacts in your eyes.
- If you have eyeglasses, wear them instead of your contacts. While they won’t specifically protect against germs, they might make you think twice about touching your eyes.
- Keep your eyeglass lenses and frames clean and be sure to wash your hands before touching them.